Suddenly "too many simultaneous mail messages"

Spike Ilacqua spike@indra.com
Tue Feb 24 20:34:00 UTC 2004

I'm suddenly having a rash of "too many simultaneous mail messages"
errors.  After reading though the archives, I rebuild dccm with a bigger
"FD_SETSIZE" (since it doesn't have anything to do with reality on
FreeBSD) which doubled the size of max_max_work (from 190 to 395) and
let me use "-j 350" raise maxjobs.  But I still get "too many
simultaneous mail messages", just less often.

Any thoughts?  One I had was to replace select() with kevent() (which
doesn't have limitations on the number file descriptors it can handle)
and then base max_max_jobs directly on max file descriptors (which is
huge on FreeBSD).  But I don't know enough about DCC's internals to know
if this would work.

->Spike