turned on greylisting, dbclean runs every 15secs.

Mark Atkinson darkmark@filament.org
Fri Feb 13 18:39:21 UTC 2004

Ok, solved.  I specified dbclean manually with a -s parameter, where -s
was sufficiently larger than 1000 (15000 is what I picked) to keep dbclean
from spawning every 15 seconds because of low hash entries.

So it seems that w/o a database one is created on first launch of dccd
with greylisting.  Then by default dbclean resized the db hash entries to
80%, which happens to be less than some threshold, which causes cleaning
to be scheduled immediately again, and from then on every 15 seconds.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Mark Atkinson wrote:
> To reply to myself, if I replace dbclean with a do-nothing shell script,
> the only message I get to syslog is:
>
> Feb 13 09:57:09 hellfire dccd grey[85374]: 786 free hash entries; starting
> `dbclean -DPq -G -i 32767`
>
> is it trying to free-up hash entries?  How do I get more if that's the
> case?
>
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Mark Atkinson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running 1.2.29 on freebsd-stable.
> >
> > I turned on greylisting recently and noticed that dbclean is running every
> > 15 seconds in the logs.  I found one message in the archives mentioning
> > this behavior, but no resolution.
> >
> > The message before cleaning begins is:
> >
> >                 dcc_trace_msg("database cleaning begun");
> >
> > and this is part of
> >
> >         case DCC_AOP_DB_UNLOCK:         /* start switch to new database */
> >
> > I note that part of this block in work.c:
> >
> >                 /* don't start our own cleaning */
> >                 del_dbclean_next = cur_time.tv_sec + DEL_DBCLEAN_SECS;
> >                 dbclean_limit = cur_time.tv_sec + DBCLEAN_LIMIT_SECS;
> >
> > the default DBCLEAN_LIMIT_SECS is 15 seconds.
> >
> > I haven't had the time to follow this closely, but it seems this can only
> > be recieved over the protocol for an DCC_OP_ADMN command.  So I suspect
> > dccm or an initial dblcean is instigating it and it just loops from there?
> >
> > --
> > Mark Atkinson
> > darkmark@filament.org
> > (!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);