amavis, spamassassin, dccm integration

Fri Feb 13 15:00:36 UTC 2004

> From: "Stephan Hendl" <Stephan.Hendl@lds.brandenburg.de>

> we use a sendmail gateway with sendmail, amavis-new and
> spamassassin-2.63. Now I want to include dcc in the spamassassin. In the
> default configuration the dccproc process is startet by the amavisd once
> for every mail. Since in the FAQ is written that the usage of dccm is
> better than dccproc I tried to find an howto of doing this but
> unfotunately I wasn't lucky ;-(((.

If you are using sendmail, then the best way to use the DCC is with dccm.
With sendmail+dccm,

 - You can reject spam during the SMTP transaction instead of either
      discarding it later or sending bounces to innocent people whose
      addresses have been forged as senders.  If you discard spam,
      then false positives cannot be detected by senders.  If you send
      bounces, then you WILL NOT be popular with those of us who
      are receiving bazillions of virus and spam bounces.

 - Rejecting spam during the SMTP transaction can also save disk space
      and CPU cycles.  If you use other spam or virus filters, the spam
      rejected by the DCC won't need to be examined.

 - You can use greylisting, which is quite effective against worms
      and the worst spam.

 - Even if you tell dccm -aIGNORE to not reject spam, it is still
      efficient to let other filters such as SpamAssassin look for the
      "bulk" string in X-DCC headers.