dccm too many simultaneous mail messages

Mon Feb 9 16:25:17 UTC 2004

> From: Valentin Chopov <valentin@valcho.net>

> In case of "dccm too many simultaneous mail messages"
> sendmail log  displays  something like:
> Milter: connect: host=aaa.bbb.com, addr=www.xxx.yyy.zzz, temp failing
> commands
> This is O.K. if aaa.bbb.com (www.xxx.yyy.zzz) is a mail server.
> The problem comes when aaa.bbb.com (www.xxx.yyy.zzz) is a mail client
> (like Microsoft Outlook Express). Even if www.xxx.yyy.zzz is whitelisted
> in the /var/dcc/whiteclnt, this doesn't help.
> Is there any way dccm to check /var/dcc/whiteclnt before
> checking for too many simultaneous mail messages?

No, that is impossible.  When dccm is not answering sendmail because
it already has too many active threads, it can't start another thread
to accept the mail message from sendmail and process it, including
checking whitelists.

The only alternatives are to:

  1. decrease the number of simultaneous mail messages that sendmail
     will handle.  Depending on the version of sendmail, that's in
     the load limiting and load shedding controls usually set in
     sendmail.cf.  Old versions of sendmail have what I consider
     defective controls, but I think recent versions are improved.

  2. increase the number of messages that dccm will allow with -j.
     This may or may not be possible, dependikng on operating system
     limitations such as on open files.

  3. change the milter setting for dccm in sendmail.cf so that sendmail
     will continue instead of "temp-fail.  That consists of ensuring
     that there is no F=T setting in the Xdcc line in sendmail.cf.
     If you use misc/hackmc in the DCC source, simply do not use -f or -R.

I think #1 is usually best.