DCC + Postfix + Amavisd-new + Spamassassin --- HELP...

Tue Feb 3 23:24:25 UTC 2004

> > Well... are you seeing a header similar to this one being added?

> From: Michael Dengler <mike@bowes.com>

> No.

There was recently a comment in a nearby mailing list to the effect
that amavisd does not add X-DCC headers.

I know nothing more about amavisd than what a quick Google turns up.
The words that found about "high performance" are a little odd given
the apparently choice of dccproc instead of dccifd.  Then there is the
statement that amavisd-new is written in Perl;  I'll never understand
talking about "high performance MTA" and Perl in the same breath.  But
that and whether dccifd or dccproc is the DCC client are irrelevant.
The DCC client is rarely the bottleneck in non-sendmail installations
and often not in sendmail installations.

The most complete information about what the DCC client is (not) doing
comes from the DCC log files.  It is possible to have the DCC client
log all passing mail, possibly bulky mail, or definitely bulky mail.
First ensure that there is a suitable log directory writable by the
dccifd process or whatever does the fork() and exec() to run dccproc.
If dccifd is being used, set DCCIFD_LOG_AT=0 in /var/dcc/dcc_conf.
If dccproc is being used, set whatever exec()s dccproc to use
`dccproc -c cmn,0 -E -l logdir ...` where logdir is the log directory.
Then look at the DCC log files.

Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com

P.S. I hope I'm not reading http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-mta
  correctly, because it seems to say that filtering is done after the
  end of the SMTP transaction.  Any SMTP server that filters after the
  end of the transaction is at best less desirable and at worst quite
  evil.  It is undesirable if it discards (perhaps with logging) bad
  mail because senders will not hear about false positives.  It is evil
  if it generates bounces (DSN, delivery status notifications) because
  so many spam and viruses have forged sender information today that
  any such system will inevitably bombard innocent victicms with bounced
  spam and viruses.

  What with the many 10,000s of viruses bounces and other virus noise
  sent my direction recently, I've developed opinions about people who
  let their virus or spam filters send bounces.