dccm running out of file descriptors

Fri Jan 30 14:59:45 UTC 2004

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> > What does that `lsof` line mean?  What are the '*' characters?  Do they
> > mean the socket is bound to port 0 at both ends?  Or does that line
> > mean the socket is not complete, perhaps because accept() has not been done?
>
> I'm not sure.  If `lsof' uses the `netstat' definitions, it means:
>
>      IDLE  Idle, opened but not bound.

That makes no sense to me.  I don't know how you can make a TCP socket
have two IP addresses but not be bound.  Perhaps it is a socket in the
TCP state Close-Wait, or shut down by the other host and waiting for
a local close() system call.  A glut of such sockets could be caused
by a missing close() in some error path somewhere.

> corresponds to that hour of very low e-mail activity.  It may have
> been the result an I/O overload that began earlier in the evening.

What was that about?
Did whatever it was include any syslog complaints from dccm?