dccm running out of file descriptors

Thu Jan 29 19:03:30 UTC 2004

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> We had another incident this morning.  I have log messages from that
> time, but `lsof' output from about two hours later, when dccm had
> recovered. ...

Did dccm recover spontaneously or was it restarted?

> Of the sockets, there were 2846 TCP and 801 UDP.  799 of the sockets
> were in the Wait_Data_Xfr state.  Of the TCP connections, 2671 were
> idle, like this:
>
> COMMAND  PID   USER   FD   TYPE        DEVICE SIZE/OFF    NODE NAME
> dccm    9546 daemon 3910u  IPv4 0x30002868bd0      0t0     TCP electra.cc.umanitoba.ca:*->naos.cc.umanitoba.ca:* (IDLE)

2671 TCP sockets looks more than a little strange.
What does that `lsof` line mean?  What are the '*' characters?  Do they
mean the socket is bound to port 0 at both ends?  Or does that line
mean the socket is not complete, perhaps because accept() has not been done?

Are you running sendmail on one system and dccm on another?
Could there be a TCP socket leak in the milter library?

Are you linking dccm with the libmilter generated by the fairly recent
sendmail you seem to be using?