greylisting from multiple sources

Tim Wicinski tim@meer.net
Tue Jan 27 01:24:08 UTC 2004

We're seeing a problem with greylisting, one that our customers are
seeing enough and getting antsy about.  While the tuple of (IP, sender,
recipient) works fine, it has a problem in dealing with SMTP servers
which send from multiple IP addresses the same message, or different
messages.  Once the first message is whitelisted, successive messages
can not be assured of arriving that quickly since they may be going out
on a different SMTP server.

Any ideas how to deal with this?  Turning off greylisting is currently
the largest vote, despite the flood of spam which is destined to return.

The next idea is to try to monitor and whitelist as many large IP space
as possible.   This would cut down the very long delays we are seeing in
email arriving.  For example, we're seeing Earthlink/Mindspring  take
upward of 6+ hours for messages to arrive through the embargo.

tim