Multiple MX and single dccm/dccd - Re: embargo persist passing #

Thu Jan 15 16:08:44 UTC 2004

> From: Valentin Chopov

> When new e-mail come to test@mydomain.com  first it hits mail1 and
> it's embargoed by DCC. The SMTP client gets temporary rejection and
> in few seconds (less then 270 secs) it hits mail2 and it get enbargoed
> again. In few minutes (more then 270 secs) this repeats again. The 3th
> time which can be much  longer (it depends from the client MTA) usualy the
> message passes. Some times it hapens after 30min from the 1st atempt, some
> times much longer.
>
> I think the problem is that the duration (mail2-mail1) between resending
> the message is less then 270 secs.

> > as I understand currently SMTP client  have to
> > pass 4 (four) times the embargo, to be remembered
> > and become familiar to the DCC.
> > Is there are any way to change this number?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  There are no counters in
the greylisting.  It is driven entirely by time.

Are you saying that the following happens:
  1. unfamiliar SMTP Client sends a msg to MX server Mail1
  2. mail1 says "450 temporary embargo" to reject the message
  3. 300 seconds later Client retransmis the same msg to another
       MX server Mail2
  4. although there have been more than 270 seconds since #1 and #2,
      Mail2 also says "450 temporary embargo" to reject the message
As long as the embargo is at least 30 seconds, that should not
happen.  Are you saying it does?