dccm running out of file descriptors

Sat Jan 10 23:22:18 UTC 2004

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> I've noticed lately that `dccm' sometimes logs that it's run out
> of file descriptors, usually while attempting to create temporary
> files.  A restart fixes it, at least for a while.  I don't know if
> this behavior is related to the recent addition of greylisting.
>
> This is under Solaris 8.  `dccm' is started with `ulimit -n 4096',
> and runs with `-j 800'.  I wonder if the context limit calculation
> in `dccm' needs a bit of updating.

That is a plausible idea, except that I've looked at the source and
don't see any files not accounted for.

Does `lsof` on your system show sockets?  If so, is there anything
strange what `lsof` says?  With 'j-800' there should be no more
than the following for each active job:

    a socket connected to sendmail,
    socket to talk to the DCC server.
    3 FDs for log files,

for a total of 4000 FDs.  There should 2 or 3 dozen other
miscellaneous FDs including those for shared libraries.

Is there any chance that an overall system limit on open files is being
reached?  What is the dccm error message?