DCC greylisting, bulk tagging, and spamassassin

John R Levine johnl@iecc.com
Mon Dec 22 22:31:55 UTC 2003

I have DCC set up to greylist but not reject at SMTP time.  That works OK
(I think), but interacts badly with spamassassin.

When spamassasin runs, it first looks for an existing X-DCC-brand-Metrics:
header, and if that header contains "bulk", it figures DCC's done its
thing, notes it, and goes on to other tests.  If it doesn't find the bulk
tag, it calls dccifd itself to get the counts and then looks at the header
returned.

The problem is that as far as I can tell, I have to tell dccifd not to do
bulk tagging in order to do greylisting without rejection.  (If it does
tagging, the tagged messages get an R status rather than G which isn't
what I want because some tagged mail is not spam.)  If I don't do bulk
tagging, then spamassassin always runs the message through dccifd a second
time which is, of course, not a great idea.

There's ways to slap a bandaid on this.  I'm going to run a second dccifd
server with -Q and tell spamassassin to use that, and patching
spamassassin to look harder at the existing X-DCC wouldn't be hard, but it
seems like what I really want is the "-a IGNORE"  flag that's in the
manual but not in the code.

Regards,