Apparent buglet in dccifd

John R Levine johnl@iecc.com
Mon Dec 22 19:15:07 UTC 2003

Looking at the files logged in log/356, it appears there's some sort of
off by one or race condition bug in logging the hostname of the connecting
host, e.g.:

VERSION: 3
DATE: 12/22/03 10:15:22 EST
IP: vmx1.spamcop.net ::ffff:209.137.232.226
env_From: teams@printingforless.com  mail_host=printingforless.com
env_To: jonathan@cowsoutside.com  addr=virtual  dir=userdirs/virtual

Host 209.137.232.226 is not vmx1.spamcop.net, but the preceding and
following messages a few seconds apart were from 206.14.107.113 which is
indeed vmx1.spamcop.net.  The tcpserver program which indirectly calls the
dccifd client does the rDNS lookup and I'm pretty sure it's passing the
correct data.  Given the way it's structured, forking early in the process
and not using threads, I don't see how it could mess this up anyway.

I haven't yet checked to see if the whitelist code is confused by the
incorrect name or it's just a cosmetic error.

Regards,