DESTDIR installation

Alex S Moore asmoore@edge.net
Mon Dec 22 19:01:33 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:22:10 -0700 (MST)
Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com> wrote:

> >  What are chances of getting the DCC scripts to use DESTDIR for the install
> > directory?
>
> I cannot see any reason to break thousands of existing installations.
> Perhaps I do not understand what you are asking.

No, I would never knowingly request changes that would cause that much of a
problem.

> Why can't you use something like `./configure --homedir=$DESTDIR` ?

I am not the best person to answer this, but here goes.  Other programs use
--prefix=<installdir>, where you have said --homedir.  The terminology is
different but the results are exactly the same.  The difference is that Makefile
on a lot of programs have code that installs to something like
'$(DESTDIR)$(HOMEDIR)'.  For someone installing on their own machine, DESTDIR is
not defined and files are installed to homedir.  DESTDIR is an offset used for
packaging.  I think that it is part of SysV packaging standards.  Also, I see
DESTDIR used on make files built with GNU tools that are not too old.  I hope
that I said that correctly.

> The DCC licensing lets you change and redistribute the source, provide
> you don't blame.   I suspect I ought to check that the license does
> not let you make substantive changes and then claim it is still the DCC.

Yes, thanks.  We should be fine with that.  I have no intention of making source
changes, except maybe the make install sections of the make files so that it
follows a different standard.  A copy of the license goes with the package and
is displayed during installation.

Thanks, Alex