Greylisting and SMTP AUTH?

Mon Dec 22 17:40:52 UTC 2003

> From: Spike Ilacqua <spike@indra.com>

> > Since the dccd database can't really store anything except 24 bit
> > values with the keys that are checksums, I don't see an alternative.
>
> What about the idea of basing the log file name on the checksum?

File name and dlirectory size problems.

Having dccm, dccifd, and dccproc append to existig log files opens
cans of worms.

> > Would users likely to be concerned really care about messages that
> > had passed the embargo.
>
> Yes, users are going to want to whitelist the addresses to aviod delays.
> Believe me, we hear about it when mail is delayed for any reason and
> need to provide an option to avoid the greylisting delay.  I would put
> messages that passed in a view from the rejected one.
>
> > Would they understand more information about those that hadn't or just
> > become even more concerned?
>
> Some people want to know exactly what message are being rejected.  If we
> don't log the greyed message, especially legit mail from broken mailers,
> people will be unhappy.

Yes, but will people who are able to understand what's going on
need more than the current files?

How about making the log file viewer notice that the message was
embargoed and that that the log file is not combined, then on the spot
look for any previous, related log files and combine them into a single
file?

Would the naive combining of log files be a problem?  Could you only
present all of the files of an embargoed message when the user asks
for more information?  Will users care about embargoed spam?