Naming DCC servers

Fri Dec 12 04:03:14 UTC 2003

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> So far, I've just used the `official' hostnames for my DCC servers.
> Now, I have the need to move at least one of them from one machine
> to another.  Would it be best to use CNAMEs instead?  If so, I'd
> probably call them dcc1..., dcc2..., etc.  I suppose I'd have to
> ask the flood peers to start using the CNAMEs, and move the server
> a bit later.

I recommend CNAMES for DCC servers because they do prevent many but
not all hassles when you change IP addresses.
If your flooding peers don't have firewalls filtering TCP port 6277,
you only need to worry about DNS TTLs when you change IP addresses.
If your flooding peers do filter TCP port 6277 to particular IP
addresses, you must get people to make adjustments.  That can take time.