Version 1.2.15 of the DCC

Thu Nov 20 00:29:55 UTC 2003

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> > When possible, all of the DCC data files are always automatically
> > regenerated, updated, or repaired as required. ...

> This didn't quite work.  I just upgraded my test server to 1.2.15.
> On restart, it logged:
>
>   Nov 19 17:46:08 setup01 dccm[6469]: [ID 239807 mail.notice] /usr/local/dcc/whiteclnt.dccw has obsolete format
>
> The whiteclnt.dccw had been updated, but when I sent e-mail to the test
> server, it logged:
>
>   Nov 19 17:47:52 setup01 sm-mta[6480]: [ID 801593 mail.error] hAJNlqBf006480: Milter (dcc): error connecting to filter: Connection refused by localhost
>   Nov 19 17:47:52 setup01 sm-mta[6480]: [ID 801593 mail.info] hAJNlqBf006480: Milter (dcc): to error state
>   Nov 19 17:47:52 setup01 sm-mta[6480]: [ID 801593 mail.info] hAJNlqBf006480: Milter: initialization failed, temp failing commands
>
> When I stopped and started DCC, e-mail was accepted and delivered correctly.

No, the message about whiteclnt.dcc was almost certainly not directly
related to the sendmail complaints.  You can test this by putting
bogus things in whiteclnt.dccw.  If the file starts with
"DCC client whitelist hash table version" but does not contain
"DCC client whitelist hash table version 8", the right thing should happen.

Is there any chance that dccm did not start for some reason?

Does /usr/local/dcc/whiteclnt contains host names that required a long
time for DNS resolution while dccm was rebuilding whiteclnt.dccw so
that sendmail got impatient?

] From: gagel@cnc.bc.ca

] Is 1.2.15 a recomended update?
] If were running 1.2.14 is it also a recomended update?

Recommend by whom and for what purpose?

Except for the problem with blanks in environment variables in
libexec/updatedcc, I think 1.2.15 is strictly better than 1.2.14.
It does not have any changes to the fuzzy checksum algorithms,
protocols, or size of the database, and so can't be considered a major
release.  If none of the changes listed in the CHANGES file matter to
you, you might want to wait for reports of problems.
See http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/CHANGES