Interaction between greylisting and persistent host status

Wed Nov 19 15:25:12 UTC 2003

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> If I found the right piece of code, sendmail seems to have a special
> case for the 452 response code.  This is from usersmtp.c:
>
> 	xstat = EX_NOTSTICKY;

> EX_NOTSTICKY means that the host state is not persistent. ...

> ..
> Until sendmail is changed, 452 seems to be the only choice for DCC
> grey listing.

I was going to version 1.2.15 of the DCC to use a default
greylist status "450" based on section 4.2.3 of RFC 2821 and
an extended status "4.2.1" based on section 3.3 of RFC 1893.

I'll change that to "452" and "4.2.1".  Even if a future version
of sendmail treats 450 as RFC 2821 seems to suggest, there will
be a lot of installations of sendmail "sticking" on 450.

thanks,