Interaction between greylisting and persistent host status

John R Levine johnl@iecc.com
Mon Nov 17 21:31:24 UTC 2003

> The persistent host status feature is extremely useful to
> streamline queue processing on a large mail server.

Yes.  qmail has a global host status table that does just what you say, it
keeps it from wasting time trying to contact hosts that have recently been
observed not to answer.

> The other question is:  Is the SMTP temporary failure response
> a server property or a recipient property?

Wouldn't that depend on when the response happens?  If it's in response to
RCPT TO, it's the receipient.  Any other time, its's the server.

Regards,