SPAM statistic

Leandro Santi lesanti@uolsinectis.com.ar
Mon Nov 10 17:42:25 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> The trick to a mailbox that is 99.9% spam free (spam leaked/total spam)
> is using several independent filters.  For example, 4 independent
> filters each 85% effective are better than 99.9% effective overall.

(as long as the four filters are serially-connected and a single spam-type
outcome is enough to mark the message as bad). This configuration requires
each one of the filters to have low false-positive rates (e.g. the DCC :).

But I guess that some other filters aren't good enough to be used in
serial configurations, you can't trust any of them individually because of
the higher false-positive rates.

Leandro