SPAM statistic

VonEssen, John VonEssJ@intelihealth.com
Mon Nov 10 17:25:09 UTC 2003

Here are some stats for you...

On my server, for November 4, 2003, I have the following:

7791 - total inbound emails before filtering
6279 - total inbound emails tagged as Spam by SpamAssassin

Of the 6279 emails tagged as Spam, 5306 tested positive for the
DCC_CHECK rule.

For the month of October:

69561 - total inbound emails before filtering
57928 - total inbound emails tagged as Spam by SpamAssassin

Of the 57928 emails tagged as Spam, 48164 tested positive for the
DCC_CHECK rule.

-John Von Essen

-----Original Message-----
From: Leandro Santi [mailto:lesanti@uolsinectis.com.ar]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 11:38 AM
To: Bolmerg-Berliner Ludger - Munich-MR
Cc: dcc@rhyolite.com
Subject: Re: SPAM statistic

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003, Bolmerg-Berliner Ludger - Munich-MR wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have run a statistic for about a month now to get a feeling how
effective dccm is blocking SPAM using the public DCC servers.  The
rejection threshold is set to 50.  The figures only include SPAM that
was sent to my own email account.

> Over a period of 30 days about 81 percent of all SPAM mails were
rejected.  The range of the percentages was between 71 and 91. The
overall number of SPAM mails seen ranges from 133 to 187.  All numbers
are calculated on a daily basis.  No false positives were seen.

> I am just curious if these results are comparable to what other users
of dcc are getting.

I get 50 to 200 spams a day. About 80% to 95% of these are catched by
the DCC, depending on my rejection threshold.

But don't trust these numbers much: I guess that I'm biased because I've
noticed that most local spammers (responsible for a significant fraction

of my samples) are dumber than some "hardcore", foreign, spammers :).

Leandro