How does greylisting affect MUAs?

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Fri Oct 24 03:14:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:26:24PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>
>
> > I've been reading about the new greylist feature in DCC.  It looks
> > as if it will be a valuable addition here.  However, I suspect that
> > people who use our mail server from cable or DSL connections at home
> > will not be pleased with it.  Judging by the way it works, these people
> > may well see an error message from their MUA every time they attempt
> > to send e-mail.  This could be annoying and confusing.
>
> That's a good reason to whitelist for greylisting the IP addresses
> of those cable or DSL connected home systems.

We don't have a record of their IP addresses.  The DSL IP addresses
change every day.  I don't see how this could be done.

We could, of course, tell them to use the MSA port instead of the SMTP
port, or use SMTP authentication, or both of those, and exempt those
clients from greylisting somehow.  However, getting people to change
their e-mail configuration is still an enormous task.

That's why I was asking how annoying greylisting would be for people
with common MUAs.  I don't use any of them myself, so I have no
direct knowledge.  I will enquire with our help desk people.  They
may revolt at the prospect of all those confused users.