How does greylisting affect MUAs?

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Thu Oct 23 23:40:50 UTC 2003

I've been reading about the new greylist feature in DCC.  It looks
as if it will be a valuable addition here.  However, I suspect that
people who use our mail server from cable or DSL connections at home
will not be pleased with it.  Judging by the way it works, these people
may well see an error message from their MUA every time they attempt
to send e-mail.  This could be annoying and confusing.

Once the initial message has been accepted, further messages to the
same recipients should be unaffected.  However, if they send to a
different recipient, the mail will again get a temporary failure.
DSL connections here change IP address every day, so even if the home
user sends to the same recipient every day, he or she will still see
temporary failures.

How bad will this be?  The popular MUAs seems to be OE, Netscape mail,
and Eudora.  Do they all retry automatically?  Do they handle temporary
failures nicely, or do they inform the user that the mail server is
down?  I'm wondering if the user annoyance will be worth the reduction
in spam?