DCC 1.2.14 and "temp failing commands"

Thu Oct 23 18:02:38 UTC 2003

> From: Spike Ilacqua <spike@indra.com>

> > It sounds like the same problem but a slightly different result.  Instead
> > of the bug in the BSD/OS threaded resolver library (or whatever) crashing
> > dccm, dccm gets stuck threads.
>
> So what changed from .11 to .14 that triggered this?

Probably something unrelated such as the size of some code or data
somewhere.  Once you have a bug that causes crashes, you often find
that unrelated changes make the symptoms vary.  I suspect the problem
is a wild pointer or stack frame overflowing in the resolver library
related to pthreads.

The only proper solution to a bug (other than changing vendors) starts
with understanding the bug and continues with changing some code.  If
our theories that the problem is related to the BSD/OS 4.2 and 4.1
resolver library are true, the only tactic likely to be effective is
to look at the source to that library.

I understand that the other organization which reported similar problems
solved them by moving dccm to another system and connecting sendmail
to dccm with TCP between hosts instead a UNIX domain socket within
the host running sendmail.  That had the added benefit of getting
around the BSD/OS 4.2 select() limit which constrains the number
of simultaneous mail messages that dccm can handle.