Server whitelist not working in DCC 1.2.11

Wed Oct 15 20:12:51 UTC 2003

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> > How many /16 blocks of IP addresses do you need to whitelist?
> > The maximum size of the client DCC whitelist is about 80K entries.
>
> I have 512 /24 blocks, which requires 131072 entries.  They rarely
> change, so should be okay on the server side.  The client whitelist
> has about 5000 entries.

Oh, that's more than 80K.  Even 80K is probably too large because
it is mapped into memory.  There's little good to be said about
increases in memory footprints, except by hardware vendors.
131K entries in the server's database is too few to notice.

It seems a little surprising to whitelist all IP addresses at a
university instead of only those that might reasonable send legitimate
bulk mail.  Mail from networks in labs and dorms sounds like a good
place for heavy filtering.

I assume there's some reason a couple of lines like "connect:10.1 ok"
in a sendmail access_db wouldn't work to whitelist your /16s.