Setting up a DCC Server...

Wed Sep 17 18:48:22 UTC 2003

> From: "VonEssen, John" <VonEssJ@intelihealth.com>

> server, and I would also like it to be a public dcc server. The box we
> have available has plenty of capacity, and we have plenty of extra
> bandwidth on our 10Mbps pipe (YIPES).

Besides bandwidth, a public DCC server today needs at least 768 MByte
and probably 1 GByte of RAM.  It needs twice as much or more free
disk space.  Public DCC servers seek several million DCC operations/day.

> Can anyone give me some pointers as to how I start setting this up or go
> about doing this?

The first step is to start a private DCC exchanging "floods" of
checksums with others in the global network of DCC servers.  There
are some additional hassles for the public servers including a
willingness to keep the system up to date, some additional cron
scripts for such as fetching the public DCC server blacklist, and
perhaps hosting a private web page.

Running a private server connected to the network of DCC servers
starts with getting a server-ID and some peers.  I can help with that.