questiosn about semantics of whitelist entries

Craig Constantine craig@blkbx.com
Mon Sep 15 18:12:54 UTC 2003

Hi all,

  I read the dcc(8) man page and FAQ about whitelists, but I still have
some semantic questions. Was too lazy though to go reading the source code
to see if it was strcasecmp() or strncasecmp() ... ;)

In things like comparing header names; is everything case insenstive?
eg,
OK from foo@bar.com
OK From foo@bar.com
OK frOM foo@bar.com
...are allidentical?

And what about case sensitivity in 821-path's, 822-mailbox's, and string's
compared against env_From/To, From, etc? ie, are these also identical...

OK  from  foo@bar.com
    from  Foo@bar.com
    from  Foo@BAR.com

And, is it a substring match or a literal string comparison?
eg header:

From: "foo legit bulk source" <foobar@foo.bar>

would the following match it?
OK  from   foobar@foo.bar

or do I need to do:
OK  from   "foo bulk source" <foobar@foo.bar>
    from   foobar@foo.bar

And finally, I'm scratching my head looking at legit list subscription
confirmation auto-mailers that bury the confirmation ID in the reply email
address... eg:

env_From:  "whiz bang" <list-confirm-UNIQUE_CODE_HERE@foo.bar>

can I whitelist all such messages with a simple:

OK  env_From  @foo.bar

TIA!
-Craig