how to do per-user/per-domain threshhold with dccifd?

Dave Lugo dlugo@etherboy.com
Sun Sep 14 03:56:28 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > Looking over the man page for dccifd, I don't see any way
> > to allow a user to specify a threshhold.   The '-U' option
> > works well for per-user whitelists, but that's it.
>
> What about `dccifd -t type,[log-thold,]rej-thold]`
> Or easier, DCCIFD_REJECT_AT in /var/dcc/dcc_conf?
>
> dccifd is like dcccm, which is why the default value of
> DCCIFD_REJECT_AT in /var/dcc/dcc_conf is $DCCM_REJECT_AT.

But this is for the entire MTA, right?  I don't see how
this allows for finer granularity.

> > Currently, my kludged-together MTA is using dccproc prior
> > to end-of-DATA.  Because of how dccproc is hooked into my
> > setup, I'm able to have a default threshhold/whiteclnt per
> > each domain that I accept mail for, as well as per-user
> > prefs that override the domainwide prefs.
> >
> > Might there be some use in extending dccifd to do the above,
> > or can it do it already, and I'm being dense?
>
> Oh!  You want per-user thresholds in dccm, and so by shared code,
> also in dccm.  They're on my to-do list.

Well, for dccifd - dccm is sendmail, and that's not what I use
as an 'accept' deamon.  (I think that's what you meant, but 'finger
memory' typed something else)

> If you really want "per domain" instead "per user" thresholds,
> I don't see how to specify it.

Obtuse smtpd uses a rules format that understands ALL@example.com
as meaning anything at that domain.  I don't know if adding that
catch-all scheme to dccifd (or dccm for sendmail folks) is doable,
but it would be nice :).

> Could you ask a different instance of dccifd via a different
> TCP or UNIX-domain socket for each mail domain?

Possibly, though I think the above would scale better.

Dave Lugo   dlugo@etherboy.com    LC Unit #260   TINLC