greylist problem

Tue Sep 9 18:21:30 UTC 2003

> From: Valentin Chopov <valentin@valcho.net>

> >   - did the SMTP client retransmit at all?
>
> It looks that every message is retransmiting  but with different
> msgid. I checked the normal "embargoed" messages in the maillog
> and after that the same  accepted messages and they have the same msgid in
> both times. I don't know if this can be a problem..

The Message-ID is irrelevant to greylisting.  All that matters are
   - the IP address of the STMP client,
   - the envelope Mail_From sender,
   - the envelope Rcpt_To target, and
   - the DCC Body checksum.

A problem I've seen in my logs is that a message can be (re)transmitted
a few times from an SMTP client at one IP address and then from
another IP address before almost always getting through.  The single
case that didn't get through was a junk message from Cox.net that
was retransmitted half a dozen times from each several IP addresses,
each time for less than a minute.

Each copy of the message from a new IP address must be embargoed and
otherwise treated independently.

I wouldn't expect Microstupid's SMTP system to include this fancy
hydra style.