greylist problem

Tue Sep 9 16:14:43 UTC 2003

> From: "Rose, Bobby" <brose@med.wayne.edu>

> It's really not a permanent rejection.  4.7.x just tells the remote smtp
> system to try again later so the question should be why his system is
> resending.   Does he have it configued to resend on failures?

Additional interesting questions include:

  - are you using the default 4.5 minute embargo?

  - did the SMTP client retransmit at all?

I'll add grey-whitelisting realsoonnow.  It's not a good solution, but
it's not as bad as wholesale whitelisting.

The best solution in this case regardless of the DCC or greylisting
is to convince the person of the fact that it is reckless and
irresponsible to expose any Windows box directly to the Internet.
"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" on the Internet ought to be and
perhaps soon will be bait for members of the plaintiff's bar.
But of course, fixing his system not your fight.