dccd 1.1.x and 1.2.x flooding

Fri Sep 5 14:28:31 UTC 2003

> From: Valentin Chopov <valentin@valcho.net>

> is there a problem with the flooding between 1.1.x and 1.2.x peers.
> I'm looking at cdcc "flood list" on my 1.2.x dcc server and see
> (no output) on all my 1.1.x peers.

As I wrote in the DCC-servers mailing list on Tuesday:

] There is a bug in version 1.1.44 and an unknown number of previous
] versions of dccd.  The symptom is that flooding connections are not
] made.  One peer will claim that incoming flooding is off.  It happens
] only if the timing is right (or wrong), but once it starts happening,
] it is persistent.  I don't understand why it doesn't happen more often.
] Just now 3 of the 4 peers of dcc1.coop.net appear to be exhibiting the
] problem.
]
] The fix is to install a new version of the DCC server.
] The current version can be found in
] http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/source/dcc-dccd.tar.Z
] If you'd rather not try 1.2.2, version 1.1.45 can be found in
] http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/source/old/dcc-dccd-1.1.45.tar.Z
]
] The script in http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/newdcc
] can be customized to ease installing new versions.  I use variations
] of it on several systems to install new versions with a single command.

The bug involves confusing the outgoing and incoming flooding states.
If you turn on tracing, you'll find that the older system refuses
incoming connections because flooding is supposedly off.
I think installing a new version keeps things down long enough
or otherwise changes the state at a 1.1.44 or older peer, and that's
why it often does not happen but is persistent when it starts happening.
Or perhaps its because the newer versions try to bring up outgoing flooding
sooner or perhaps later.

You can easily check the versions of your flooding peers with
list that is available to server operators at
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/private/
or http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/private/