Greylisting

Thu Sep 4 14:36:34 UTC 2003

> Subject: Greylisting
> From: "Rose, Bobby" <brose@med.wayne.edu>

> How do you know if it's working?

Greylist embargoing as well as passing after having been embargoed
causes mail message to be logged in /var/dcc/log as well as the
per-user log directories.  The /var/dcc/log/msg.* file indicates
which addressees triggered the embargo.

>                                   I see the dbcleans for the grey_db,
> but is there a way to test it?

Besides testing on incoming real mail, I've tried sending mail with
stray (e.g. forged) senders from SMTP clients that are not whitelisted.

>                                 Is it a case that you'll never no
> anything of the ones it temp rejected since they don't come back if
> they're illegit mailers?

Mail that is not retransmitted with enough persistence to get past
the embargo is logged in /var/dcc/log and the per-user log directories,
along with mail rejected as unsolicited bulk.

> Also, I've been usingDCC for a while and was wondering if there was a
> way to change the reject message.  Explaining what DCC is everytime
> someone sends a single worded test message from yahoo,etc
> is getting annoying.

See `dccm -r`.