Limiting dccproc/dccifd to my own dcc server

Tue Aug 19 21:44:28 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 12:11, John Scully wrote:
> > I am running my own dcc server, but I keep finding dccproc using other
> > servers on the network.  How do I limit it to only use my local dcc
> > server?

> From: Seth McClain <smcclain@montana.com>

> >From the cdcc interface type 'info' to show the dcc servers that dccproc
> will query.
>
> Type 'delete hostname' (where hostname is the name of the dcc server you
> wish to remove) to keep dccproc from querying that server.

I don't agree.  Instead I think it is a good idea to keep th public
servers in your map file as backups when your server is down for
maintenance or otherwise not available.  The sample map.txt and map
files installed by `make install` use the mechanism that generally works
well for directing local traffic to local servers when they are available.
That mechanism is the RTT adjustment.  A substantial negative RTT
adjustment of 1000 or 2000 millseconds will make your server by far the
quickest, unless something is wrong.  If RTTs to your server are more
than 100 ms, then your server has not been answering recently, your
network is ill, your server needs more RAM, the cron job has not been
running for days or weeks, or something else is wrong.

If your DCC clients are not on the same host as your DCC server (including
the case when you have more than one server), you should add the
host names of your servers to all of your /var/dcc/map files.
One convenient way to do that is to define host name of dcc.domain.com
that has A records for all of your servers and use
`cdcc "add dcc.domain.com xxxxx passwd"` to add the name to /var/dcc/map.

Note also that it is important to create and use a local client-ID
for your clients to avoid the 50 ms penality imposed on anonymous
clients.  The /var/dcc/ids, /var/dcc/map, and /var/dcc/map.txt files
generated by `make install` do that.  If you have more than one host,
you should probably use the same /var/dcc/ids contents on all of them.

> You should also remove these entries from your map file.

`cdcc "delete dcc.dcc-servers.net"` operates on your /var/dcc/map file.
Perhaps you meant the ASCII log of your map file that is conventually
the map.txt file generated with `cdcc info >map.txt`.