Uptick in spam?

Henrik Edlund henrik@edlund.org
Thu Aug 7 08:07:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Spike Ilacqua wrote:

SI> I'm seeing more spam getting by DCC in the last few days.  The
SI> messages have counts, but they are low.  I'm wonder if there's a new
SI> trick that's allowing these to get by, it's bad luck, or it's just
SI> more volume in general.  Anyone else seeing an increase?

There seem to be a new wave of spam where they put 100-200 random strings
in random order in the body of the mail. This in order to fool
checksumming tools. Basically you have 100 randoms strings, the spam
message and then another 100 random strings. The strings seems to be
actual words as well, I might guess in order not to trigger any "dirty
ticket" checks of for example SpamAssassin.