bulk test messages

Tue Jul 22 17:00:22 UTC 2003

> From: Ivan Kluzak <Ivan.Kluzak@cpinternet.com>

> The problem is that people send a test message to see how bulk filtering is
> doing for them and that test message gets blocked because it's so short or
> just says "test" in it.  The bulk of the message contains standard outlook
> html
> template garbage. ...

If the Outlook HTML template garbage you mean is the many KBytes of
XML or other "active content" that I've noticed in some cases, then
I think a reasonable response is to tell such people that they are
not really using email and that blocking all of their stuff is entirely
appropriate until they ditch the idiotsware they're using.  It's bad
enough that some broken by design MUAs by default send both HTML and
plaintext, thereby proving the HTML version is useless and unnecessary.
This new XML attack is even worse.

Another reasonable response is to educate them on the evils of using
HTML mail unnecessarily.  There are cases when HTML, PostScript, MS
Word, or any other fancy form you can name is appropriate, but the
use of HTML by default and without any except trivial mark-ups is
wrong.  It does no good and exposes users to viruses or at least
web bugs that violate their privacy.

In case you disagree or not feel free to be reasonable, it might be
possible to white-list such messages by checksum.  Can you point to
examples of such messages on the web?  (If they're what I suspect,
they're too big to send to this mailing list, even if this mailing
list did not have defenses against such stuff.)