Global server whitelists?

Sidney Markowitz sidney@sidney.com
Wed Jul 16 23:01:07 UTC 2003

Is there a way of submitting information about legitimate mailing lists
so that they can be added to the server whitelists on everyone's DCC
servers?

The latest issue of Bruce Schneier's Crypto-Gram had an article about
spam filtering that triggered a couple of rules in my version of
SpamAssassin, but not enough to get it labeled as spam. What sent my
filter over the edge was the fact that the message had been reported to DCC.

It appears to me that people have misconfigured spam filters that
triggered on the few spam phrases in this issue of the newsletter and
automatically reported it to DCC with no manual verification.

I could whitelist the mailing list at my end, but that doesn't solve the
underlying problem. Is there provision for utilizing the supposedly
greater degree of reliability of people who run the servers by having
them agree on whitelist entries to compensate for misconfigured clients?