DCC: accept() returned invalid socket (Result too large), try again

darkmark darkmark@filament.org
Wed Jul 16 21:31:18 UTC 2003

Thanks for your help btw, my answers to your queries in-line.  I'll keep
the list updated with my findings.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> What is FD_SETSIZE?

1024

> The next time this happens, what does fstat or equivalent say about
> the files that dccm has open?

will do.  I generally starts out with around 49 descriptors open total.
I've got a shell script logging the number of fd's right now.

> How do you figure that the default number of simultaneous dccm jobs is 4
> instead of 200?

bleh. you're right of course.  let's call it macro-vision. :)

> Are you using any other Milter filters in addition to dccm?

nope.

> When the problem happens, what do netstat or fstat (or equivalent)
> say about the number of active SMTP sessions?  Could there be 500
> stalled mail messages, perhaps due to some sort of "teergruber"?

I didn't check, but there were only 8 messages delivered with this error,
before I noticed and (stupidly w/o troubleshooting) restarted dccm, and
only a single message logged after that.

> Could something else on the system have opened a couple thousand files?

couple hundred maybe, kern.openfiles hovers around 300 usually.

this is a great system, btw. thanks for the new fuz2 parsing updates.

--
Mark Atkinson
darkmark@filament.org