What should I do?

Tod D. Ihde toon@warmerbythelake.com
Wed Jun 25 15:41:34 UTC 2003

Just my $0.2 here, but...

Vernon Schryver wrote:

> I've recently noticed significant use of the public DCC servers by
> DCC clients that are at IP addresses in my private spam blacklist.
> I've also heard from organizations that would like to run local
> DCC servers connected to the global network whose
> news.admin.net-abuse.sightings records are not unblemished.

Hey - even my history has blemishes. (When I first started adminning, I
had plenty of freight-train sized holes in my sendmail config, I've
accidently set myself up as an open relay under postfix [now THAT took
some idiot engineering on my part!] and had it abused, etc). Nobody's
perfect. The problem is clueful repeat offenders - is that what you're
implying?

> I think they are using and intend to use the DCC appropriately.
> I'm inclined to pretend I don't know their histories.  Am I being
> naive or paranoid?

Paranoid. Paranoid is good, though. ;)

However, in the long run, I believe that any abuse of DCC they may use
can only be a good thing for us DCC users / admins. Only by seeing bulk
email slip by undetected will we be able to figure out how to stop it.

Mind you I could be thinking out of my tush, but that's my thoughts on that.

> Operators of DCC servers connected to the global network might
> wish to comment on the obvious question on the DCC-servers list.
> If you run one of those servers, you can subscribe at
> https://www.rhyolite.com/mailman/listinfo/dcc-servers

Didn't even know it existed. Subscribed now. :)