What should I do?

Stephen Misel steve@neonova.net
Tue Jun 24 17:17:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 12:49, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> I've recently noticed significant use of the public DCC servers by
> DCC clients that are at IP addresses in my private spam blacklist.
> I've also heard from organizations that would like to run local
> DCC servers connected to the global network whose
> news.admin.net-abuse.sightings records are not unblemished.
>
> I think they are using and intend to use the DCC appropriately.
> I'm inclined to pretend I don't know their histories.  Am I being
> naive or paranoid?
>
> Operators of DCC servers connected to the global network might
> wish to comment on the obvious question on the DCC-servers list.
> If you run one of those servers, you can subscribe at
> https://www.rhyolite.com/mailman/listinfo/dcc-servers
>

> Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com

Hi Vernon.

I'd say it depends on how "blemished" their .sightings is.  I think it's
unlikely for a decent-sized ISP to have nothing in .sightings.

I would be concerned about those ISP's with history of spam support (ie
a long SPEWS file) using the DCC.

A spammer or friendly ISP could use the software to determine whether or
not a particular outbound message would be blocked or not.  It would be
trivial to automate something of that nature, i.e. automatically adding
different hashbusters to a message until the count dropped.

How many public and private servers have addresses listed in SPEWS?

Wouldn't it be fair to require the ISP not have any SPEWS listings to
access the network?  If an ISP is serious about stopping spam, one would
think they'd address internal sources first, and INBOX blocking second?

-Steve