Handling mail aliases

Tue Jun 17 21:56:48 UTC 2003

> To: Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
> From: Spike Ilacqua <spike@indra.com>

> > Our intended solution is to just have our milter code resolve aliases
> > itself via the virtuser table and alias table.
>
> The thought of trying to maintain code that duplicates the magic
> sendmail does around alias files kind of scares me. ;)

One immediate problem at least for the DCC is what to do when
/etc/mail/aliases yields more than one mailbox.

Another is what to do when the aliases file's answer includes a FQDN.
How does a milter program figure out what that might mean, including
whether it is locally delivered?

What about aliases to programs?

Or aliases that "include" other aliases?  It's not that you couldn't
duplicate that code, but that there are hassles in ensuring that you
don't open some sort of security hole.

Those problems go away when you restrict the contents of the database
sufficiently, but that allows simplier solutions.