"no answer from dcc.dcc-servers.net"

Thaddaeus Slany ts.ctms1@cert.siemens.de
Fri Jun 6 18:32:09 UTC 2003

Vernon Schryver wrote:

> By "empty list," do you mean that there dcc.dcc-servers.net is present
> but there are no IP addresses or that all 9 of the IP addresses of
> the public servers are present but have "not answering" status?

There are no IP addresses in the list.

> If there are no IP addresses, then it sounds as if something in
> your chroot environment is breaking DNS.  Perhaps the resolver
> library is missing something.  Does it need and have something like
> /etc/resolv.conf in the chroot jail?

sure, I had /etc/resolv.conf in the chroot jail.

after some hours of debugging today, I have found the problem that is
breaking DNS in my chroot environment:

pioneer:/var/spool/smtpd/lib # ls -al libresolv*
-rwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        75057 Mar 14 00:33 libresolv.so.2

bnv2:/disk2/var/spool/smtpd/lib # ls -al libresolv.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        66669 Mar 21  2002 libresolv.so.2*

Unfortunately, by mistake a slightly older version of "libresolv.so.2"
has been used in my new chroot environment on the new server.

The embarassing thing is, before I had successfully tested "resolver" in
chroot with an little dns tool, which checks "gethostbyname". I was
pretty sure, resolver is working in chroot environment....  but, too bad
if you some time realize that the used binary was statically linked.
*sigh* ;-)

By copying the newer libresolv.so.2 to the chroot environment
overwritting the bad one, my chroot-related "no answer from
dcc.dcc-server.net"-problem which happend always after some hours of use
has gone now. :-)

> Every hour or two, the DCC client library re-resolves the names of
> DCC servers into IP addresses.

That explains why my dcc script worked only for some hours right after a
fresh installation.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
Thaddäus Slany, BNV-GZ Technik