"no answer from dcc.dcc-servers.net"

Fri Jun 6 02:18:26 UTC 2003

> From: Thaddaeus Slany <ts.ctms1@cert.siemens.de>

> after installing /var/dcc and dccproc in chroot-ed environment I get
> same
>
> "no answer from dcc.dcc-servers.net" - messages in my logfile after a
> bunch of time of perfect operation before.

>  ...right after a fresh installation of my /var/dcc in chroot
> environment, a "chroot /new_root cdcc info" is showing all working dcc
> servers. But after using my script calling "dccproc" for some time
> processing incoming e-mails successfully, "DCC" seems loosing all
> working dcc servers resulting in "no answer from dcc.dcc-servers.net" on
> every checked e-mail message. If I then call a "chroot /new_root cdcc
> info" to see info about working servers I get back an empty list
> corresponding to the message in the log.  ...

By "empty list," do you mean that there dcc.dcc-servers.net is present
but there are no IP addresses or that all 9 of the IP addresses of
the public servers are present but have "not answering" status?

If there are no IP addresses, then it sounds as if something in
your chroot environment is breaking DNS.  Perhaps the resolver
library is missing something.  Does it need and have something like
/etc/resolv.conf in the chroot jail?

Every hour or two, the DCC client library re-resolves the names of
DCC servers into IP addresses.