too many simultaneous messages?

Tue May 6 17:28:02 UTC 2003

> From: Ivan Kluzak <Ivan.Kluzak@cpinternet.com>

> I have been noticing this log message in the syslog of my primary mail
> server every now and then.
> Does anyone know what this means, or if it's a problem that I need to fix?
>
> May  5 21:07:33 clear dccm[5684]: 19 too many simultaneous mail messages
> May  5 21:07:34 clear dccm[5291]: 18 too many simultaneous mail messages
> May  5 21:07:35 clear dccm[5110]: 98 too many simultaneous mail messages
> May  5 21:07:36 clear dccm[5696]: 64 too many simultaneous mail messages
> May  5 21:07:37 clear dccm[6008]: 1 too many simultaneous mail messages

Those messages say that dccm is shedding load.  It has been presented
with too many simultaneous requests from sendmail.

It's probably best to tell sendmail to not accept too many simultaneous
incoming connections to keep sendmail from going crazy with or without
dccm.  If that does not apply, the dccm limit can be increased with -j.

Beware that on Solaris the sendmail milter library and dccm can run into
the FD_SETSIZE limit.  See some messages in the DCC mailing list
archives including http://www.rhyolite.com/pipermail/dcc/2003/001154.html