dccm timeout lets some spam through

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Sat Apr 26 13:43:08 UTC 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 01:02:16PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>
>
> > How long does it take dccm to notice that one dccd is not responding,
> > and switch over to the other one?
>
> Dccm switches servers when the current one fails to answer.  Depending
> on the measured RTT, that can take as long as 30 seconds.

> Yes, 2 minutes is too long because it is longer than the 30 second
> limit on the RTT.  Maybe R:30s would be a good idea on your system.

I changed the sendmail timeouts to `T=S:60s;R:60s' last night, leaving
other settings at the defaults.  This morning, the error messages
during the dccd database rebuild had disappeared.  That seems to have
fixed it!  Thanks for the help.

PS: contrary to the subject line, these timeouts do not result in
spam getting through.  That was another problem, with dccm being
unable to contact any dccd.  It seems to happen when the file descriptor
limit for select() on Solaris is exceeded.