dccm timeout lets some spam through

Wed Apr 23 14:02:25 UTC 2003

> From: Valentin Chopov <valentin@valcho.net>

> I'm running a backup dccd server and every night at ~3am when the
> "cron-dccd" is running on my main dccd server it's busy but instead of
> switching to my backup server dccm uses one of the public dccd servers.
> The dccd backup server is on the same LAN and the map.txt is something
> like:
>
> dcc.dcc-servers.net,-      RTT+1000 ms  anon
> maindccd,-    RTT-1000 ms clientid pass
> backupdccd,-        RTT-800 ms  clientid pass
>
> The backup server is not loaded at all and doesn't run "cron-dccd", etc.
> at this time.

What does `cdcc info` say at ~2:59 am?  Is it possible that the backup
server runs `cron-dccd` earlier in the night so that its measured RTT
and queue delay is larger than 2000 ms?  That would make the public
servers look like better choices.

Some flavors of UNIX don't cope well with grinding 200 MByte files in
dbclean, so that concurrent dccd or any other activity goes very
slowly.  BSD/OS through 4.2 is particularly bad about that.