dcc client feature suggestion

Thu Apr 3 02:27:46 UTC 2003

> From: Tim Wicinski <tim@meer.net>
> To: Valentin Chopov <valentin@valcho.net>

> > "rej-thold".
> > "hard-rej-thold" - this is the same as thw current "rej-thold"
> > "soft-rej-thold" and "limit-rej-thold"
> > I'll try to explain my idea with an example:
> > hard-rej-thold=1000
> > soft-rej-thold=100
> > limit-rej-thold=10
> >
> > If we rejected  at least 10 messages with "hard-rej-thold=1000" from
> > the IP address A.B.C.D, after that to start rejecting messages with
> > "soft-rej-thold=100" from the same IP address.

That's interesting, but I see implementation hassles in maintaining
the database {IP address, recent rejections}.

Or do I understand the idea?
It seems that every time you rejected a message, you'd increment a
counter corresponding to the IP address of the SMTP client.  Separately,
the rejection threshold would be affected by the previous total number
of rejected messages.  The rejection counter for each IP address would
decrease, perhaps by exponential decay, as in halving it once per day
or week.

Is that right?