DCCIFD listen on a TCP port

Fri Mar 28 06:53:48 UTC 2003

> From: "Cesar Bonadio" <bonadio@picture.com.br>

> I think I was not understood
>
> When I try to start dccifd using dccifd -p 127.0.0.1,1000
>
> I receive the following error
> "TCP access to this daemon needs authentication; fatal error"

That message is from the incomplete, placeholding code for TCP
access to dccifd.  Dccifd currently only uses UNIX domain sockets.

> My question is "What do I need to do to start dccifd listenning on ip
> 127.0.0.1 on port 1000?"

I considered supporting TCP, but could not justify the complications
of IP addressing in the user interface.  If dccifd is run on the same
system as the rest of the mail system, then UNIX domain sockets are
as available as TCP, and considerably simpler.  UNIX domain sockets
can also be more secure than naked TCP.

Am I wrong?  Is there a good reason to run dccifd on a separate system?
Or some other reason to use TCP?