People whitelisting personal e-mail addresses

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Tue Mar 25 04:38:14 UTC 2003

We're using a central client whitelist, to which all recipients
contribute whitelist entries.  In general, this works well, and most
of the entries are for mail from mailing lists, and similar sources of
legitimate bulk mail.  However, I've been noticing a few cases where
people have whitelisted personal e-mail addresses.  This is usually a
result of DCC identifying something as bulk mail, when in fact it's
really individual e-mail.  Most are borderline cases, but they are
something to be aware of when using DCC.  Here are some examples:

Messages with empty bodies: Microsoft Outlook and OE include static
  MIME and HTML content, so that all empty messages have the same
  checksum.  DCC identifies it as bulk mail.  I can whitelist it
  manually by checksum.

Return receipts: Again, Microsoft e-mail clients send return receipts
  that are almost entirely static, and DCC identifies it as bulk.
  Whitelisting by by checksum should work for these as well.

Post cards: One popular post card site sends mail with the individual
  sender's e-mail address as both the `From' and envelope sender
  address.  The content is mostly static, so that DCC identifies it
  as bulk e-mail.  Whitelisting by `helo' or IP address may be required
  to allow these through.

I realize that most people will tell me just to throw stuff like this
away and forget about, but some people seem to want to receive it.
I'd like to make it work with DCC, and do it in a way that doesn't
require constant manual work on my part.