dcc_db size

Mon Mar 17 05:28:54 UTC 2003

> From: Caio Boiteux <caio@arras1.arras.com.br>

> when i first instaled dcc the dcc_db was something like 40 Mbs
> and it stayed this way for quite some time ,but from about 2 months ago
> it started growing and is now near 240Mbs

I think it has been more than 6 months since typical database sizes
were below 80 MBytes.  As evidence, please consider
http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/graphs/db-size?resol=1year

> even doing a dbclean (wich i do everyday) dont seem to reduce its size
> too much
> is this size ok ?!  mean, is this the db size everyone gets
> or is my database strangely big ?!
> is there some tips in reducing its size

See the links in the first column of the private list of the
servers in the global network for other database sizes.

> for now this size is not causing problems
> but i'd like to know what to do to keep the database from growing too much

Installing a current version to replace the version 1.1.11 that you
are running would reduce the size of your database by 30-60%, because
the default lifetime of non-summarized reports of spam has been reduced
from 7 days to 1 day.

The slope of http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/graphs/db-size?resol=1year
for the last 3 months worries me, but I keep hoping it will flatten
eventually.  I hope the steep slope is due at least in part to the
<!--HTML comments--> noise that older versions of the checksums do
not ignore.