Mods to Fuz2 seem to make it less effective

Tim Wicinski tim@meer.net
Thu Mar 6 12:50:09 UTC 2003

Paul Wright wrote:
> I've recently switched to 1.1.31 from somewhere around 1.1.16 or 1.1.17.
> Looks like the changes to Fuz2 have made it less effective in some cases,
> which are now slipping through the DCC filters I use.
>
> For example <1046944284.96.2674@verence.noctua.org.uk> in .sightings comes
> out with Fuz2 as "many" with 1.1.16 but no Fuz2 at all in 1.1.31 (because
> of the lack of "interesting" things once the changes have done their work,
> I presume).
>
> The new Fuz2 is better for some spams, but fails on others. Once the
> whole world is using the later versions, the utility of the old Fuz2
> will be lost. Are there spare slots for checksums so it would it be
> possible to keep the old Fuz2 as another checksum?

We've seen a similiar situation. We went from 1.1.8 to 1.2.22 and the
amount of spam has risen.  We were seeing a 60% blocking factor from
DCC, but that number has dropped below 50% and our local blacklists are
picking up the slack.

I also noticed the messages have more strings of random characters at
the beginning. I figured these are going to mutate enough to keep them
looking "unique".

tim