DCC for Windows

Paul Wright paul.wright@pobox.com
Sun Feb 23 22:20:08 UTC 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Sean Rima wrote:

> I know there was mention of a client that used DCC for OE, I am curious
> if anyone has heard of a generic windows setup.

At one stage I was thinking of producing a DCC plugin for Spampal, a
filtering POP3 proxy for Windows <http://www.spampal.org.uk/>. I got as
far as showing that the Cygwin tools would compile a working dccproc under
Windows, and then gave up in the face of not really knowing how to do
pipes under Windows (I decided that piping stuff to a separate dccproc
executable would be the best way to go, see
<http://www.rhyolite.com/pipermail/dcc/2002/000826.html>) Some people have
given me some hints about this, but I've not got round to doing much about
it. It's mainly a matter of rebooting to Windows for long enought to get
it to work, which I keep putting off. If anyone else is more conversant
with Windows programming than me and wants to try that route, that'd
probably speed up availability of the DCC on Windows.

Note that any mass distributed Windows DCC client should consider whether
it's fair to use the public DCC servers, especially if the distributor of
the software is charging for it. The thread which starts at
<http://www.rhyolite.com/pipermail/dcc/2002/000813.html> talks about this.

--
Paul Wright | http://pobox.com/~pw201 |